Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The 'Deal

A photo of the intersection of Spring and Cook as it looked in 1950 is featured today on Springfield Rewind. On the right side of the photo is a view of Ideal Drugs, Liquors, and Delicatessen as seen from Spring Street.

I never visited the Ideal in 1950 since I wasn't even born yet. However, I did go there quite often in the late 70's and early 80's. By then, the delicatessen was long gone.

We called it the Ideal Lounge. Or, the Ideal. But, mostly, we just called it the 'Deal.

Back then, if a person wanted a drink on a Sunday night in Springfield, the 'Deal was not only the only place open, it was, in a word, ideal. You could enter from the backdoor and walk through the drug store to get the bar. Or, you could enter directly from the street. We, of course, preferred to walk through the drug store where we could get a view of a few sad bottles of aspirin, some support hose, and a handful of greeting cards left over from the 50's.

The 'Deal offered nothing for entertainment or atmosphere. It had a bar and several booths. I don't even recall if they had a juke box, but they must have. There were never more than five or six patrons when I was there. There was nothing proud or glorious about the 'Deal. It was just a place to get a drink. And, that's about it for the 'Deal.

Move your mouse over the Springfield Rewind photo for a view of the parking lot where the 'Deal once stood.

6 Comments:

Anonymous The 26th Man said...

Heh. "I deal drugs."

I always got a kick out of that as a kid.

11:49 PM  
Blogger ThirtyWhat said...

OMIGOD, 26th ... I did the same thing. I remember my mom driving past there when I was a kid ... and me asking her, "I Deal Drugs" ... is that supposed to be a joke? She wasn't amused ...

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LoL I never heard that before but it is funny! My dad use to go there whenever we had a drugstore kinda need at home... I think most of the people from our parents ww11 era went there in the sixties! Didn't you just love growing up when we did with all these memories of how it use to be...
Giuseppe

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in Springfield in the 80's and that was one of the place I used to hang out because I did not have a car then. Stanley was running the place then.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when Doc, the owner, ran the place in the 50's. It was a great place for a fantastic milk shake. My dad, Meredith Rhule the Sheriff, made me eat there. hehehe.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't one of the Weiners(sp) run the drugstore - his brother was a big time lawyer back in the days.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home