Sunday, November 13, 2005

The SJ-R Looks Back

The Springfield Journal-Register has a link up on its web site to a series of photos from Springfield’s past. These are pictures originally published in the SJ-R. I’m not going to post any of those pictures here since the linked-to SJ-R page is dedicated solely to those pictures. Just go there and take a look. Some are quite interesting.

My favorite is the World War II bomber taking of from what is now Dirksen Parkway in 1942 after earlier having made an emergency landing.

There’s also a good aerial photo of the intersection of Wabash and Veterans Parkway from 1977, not long after White Oaks Mall opened. It was the edge of Springfield at the time and the photo shows that quite well. Hey Russ, this would be the Springfield Rewind ultimate challenge.

Hopefully the SJ-R will keep this link active for some time to come. I’d like them to do more of this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Russ said...

This SJ-R thing is great...I wonder if they know about LBS.
I have several aerial shots that would be awesome to recreate, but sadly no airplane to take them from (and I'm not nearly tall enough to get the angle right otherwise).
If anyone knows someone with a plane, hot air balloon, or trained falcon - let me know.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Job Conger/Writer's Chronicle said...

I had a small role in bringing that terrific picture to the public and am writing to put some more information on the table.
. . . Rich Saal, who had photographed me for an SJ-R story about my aviation collection some years ago, called and explained he hoped I could identify the airplane in a picture they were going to feature in the SJ-R display at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum. He emailed me the picture, and I had his answer back to him in five minutes.
. . . The airplane is a Douglas A-20 Ha voc, a single-pilot (no co-pilot) attack bomber that was very successful against Germany and Japan during most of World War II. It was pretty "hot stuff" in 1942. I'm sure the pilot was as thrilled taking off on that road as the persons nearby watching him. The "pucker factor" was pretty high for all concerned. Springfield did not witness many airplane accidents during the war, but a B-24 crash near Southwest Airport on Route 4 killed the entire crew.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home