Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Good Times...Or Just Fair?

Here it is again -- Illinois State Fair time! And we here at LBS are all about the Fair! The food, the rides, the food, the music, and of course, the food. So let's stroll the intersection of Grandstand Avenue and Memory Lane together and recall:
  • Favorite foodstuffs (preferably deep-fried and on a stick)
  • Best rides (personally, I'm still a sucker for the Giant Slide)
  • Top concerts (believe it or not, Night Ranger and Weird Al Yankovic was a hell of a show)
  • And the worst of all of the above (Beach Boys at the Grandstand -- very very bad)

And any other miscellaneous memories you may have (like racing around the 'grounds after hours on a Channel 20 golf cart)...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like eating a bowl of pancit at the filipino booth in the ethnic village.

While I like other foodstuffs the fair has to offer, if I was forced to choose one item I could not do without eating, it would be pancit.

10:57 AM  
Blogger SybilShade said...

Strawberry Shakeups and those giant cream puffs from the Dairy Building. I tried my first cream puff last year and I intend to have my second for breakfast as soon as I get there tomorrow morning. YUM! Oh, and funnel cakes. Mini donuts. Fudge. Mmmm.

I'm guessing that Stone Temple Pilots gave one of the better concerts, or at least that's what I've heard. The only concerts I have actually attended at the fair were Andy Gibb (I was a kid) and Georgia Satellites (I was drunk).

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing The Association back in 1967 or 1968...not sure which. That was my favorite show I've ever seen at the fair. But probably because I was allowed to go to the fair with my sister only, and not with my parents. I was dragged to numerous Willy Nelson concerts at the fair when I was a kid. I wish I'd really paid attention to them, because I like him now.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milk shakes and the Butter Cow in the Dairy Building, Foot long cozy dogs with mustard, and Illinois peaches! Also all of the various show animals. Our mother would make sure that we went through all of the barns with their variety of aromas.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home